Sunday, December 30, 2007

Riding the Thunder by Deborah MacGillivary

For some reason this book caught my eye in the store. I guess it was the denim-like cover with the picture of a couple on a motorcycle. Of course the title could have had something to do with it and the back cover even hinted at paranormal activity in the story. But the story failed to live up to my expectations, since there wasn’t much of a story in this book. There was a lot of pretty pictures painted along the way, but there wasn’t that much in the way of strong conflicts or even good humor to keep me interested. Even the promised motorcycle made only a minor appearance in the story. Perhaps if I had read the previous story, The Invasion of Falgannon Isle, I might have liked it more. But for some reason, this book had a distinctly Historical writing style to it, even though it was set in the current day. I wish I’d left the book in the store or at least in my to-be-read-someday-in-the-far-future pile.

Details: Spectra, October 2007

Excellence Rating: Okay

No comments: