Wednesday, August 2, 2006

If You Could Read My Mind by Jeanie London

Michael Landry has been happily married to Jillian for the last seven years when suddenly he found he could read his wife’s thoughts. What he saw shocked him. He learned that Jillian wasn’t very happy with their relationship and that if he didn’t do something, they drift apart forever. Realizing he had to change, Michael decides to begin by acting out some of his wife’s sexual fantasies that she never vocalized. But will this be enough or is Michael already too late?

This is perhaps one of the most unusual Blazes I’ve read and I highly recommend it for that reason alone. Jeanie’s story features a very emotional story with some very powerful characters. In many ways this book felt like a single title novel rather than a Blaze, which is perhaps it’s single flaw. Because this story was that it was so far outside the typical Blaze it took me quite a while before I was comfortable with the story and I felt that it could have benefited from the extra space space it would have gotten as a single title. I’m a little surprised that HQN didn’t publish this story, it's that good. Highly recommended.

Details: Blaze #271, August 2006

Bottom line: A very good book

No comments: